Thursday, May 31, 2012

Review: Sakura Pigma Micron 05 Marker Pen - .45mm - Blue

This pen was a surprise.  I was walking out of my house and saw that the mail had arrived.  I went to put it on the coffee table and noticed my name on one of the packages.  I was taken aback because I had not ordered anything recently.  It was a package from JetPens with the  blue Sakura Pigma Micron 05 Marker Pen inside. It was a great way to start the day.


The Sakura Pigma Micron Marker Pen is a high quality pen.  The 05 version writes with a .45mm line width.  Even though this is a line width than most pens I am used to writing with I would consider trying the smaller tip sizes in this line of pens.  At times I felt like my handwriting was getting a bit out of hand with this pen.


The ink is a beautiful blue that doesn't fade as it drys.  While it may look very wet when the ink comes out it drys very fast.  There was minimal show through in my Black n' Red notebook and no bleed through.  In my Field Notes memo book there was a bit more show through but not enough to make deter from using the backside of the page.


The bod of the pen is very nice.  Although it is plastic it feels very well constructed.  The one thing I absolutely love about this pen is the way the cap looks when posted on the back.  The cap of the pen when placed on the back of the pen is seamlessly integrated into the body of the pen.  There are no overlaps it just fits perfectly on the end.  


There are a couple of problems with this pen.  Although the pen is well constructed there is one thing that drives me absolutely crazy about it.  Inside of the pen there is some mystery item rattling around.  It is distracting to use and it detracts from an overall good writing experience.  This may just be my specific pen, but it isn't a nice addition.


The other problem is the lack of grip/design of the grip area.  i grip my pens very low when writing, and the are leading to the tip of the pen on the Sakura Pigma Micron Marker Pen is very harsh.  The area consists of two cylindrical shapes that are smaller than the previous placed on top of each other.  This leaves two relatively sharp edges near the end of the area that most people grip their pens.  Since I grip my pens a bit lower than average this leaves the edge digging into my finger while I write.


Other than those few problems the Sakura Pigma Micron 05 Marker pen in blue is a good pen.  The ink is waterproof and fadeproof, and the design is well done.  A few flaws keep this pen from being a really great pen

8 out of 10 mummies.

8mummies

No comments:

Post a Comment